Are you someone who loves to have a warm bowl of soup on a chilly day or uses chicken broth as a base for various dishes? If so, you may find yourself wondering, “How long can I keep Swanson chicken broth in the fridge?” The answer to this question is not only important for food safety but also for maintaining the flavor and quality of your broth. In this article, we will discuss the shelf life of Swanson chicken broth in the fridge and share some helpful tips and tricks to keep it fresh and flavorful for longer.
How Long Can You Keep Swanson Chicken Broth in the Fridge?
Swanson chicken broth is a staple pantry item for many households. It adds depth and flavor to soups, rice, sauces, and more. But if you don’t use the entire carton in one go, you may be wondering how long it can stay fresh in the fridge.
The good news is that Swanson chicken broth has a relatively long shelf life when properly stored in the refrigerator. In this article, we’ll dive into the details of how long you can keep Swanson chicken broth in the fridge, as well as some tips and tricks to ensure it stays fresh for as long as possible.
The Shelf Life of Swanson Chicken Broth in the Fridge
According to the official website of Swanson, their chicken broth has a shelf life of 14 days when stored in the refrigerator after opening. This is a general guideline and can vary depending on certain factors such as temperature, storage conditions, and the date of production.
The 14-day shelf life applies to both the regular and reduced-sodium version of Swanson chicken broth. This is because the reduced-sodium broth still contains chicken and other natural ingredients that can spoil over time.
If you are using an unopened carton of Swanson chicken broth, it can stay fresh for much longer – usually up to a year past the printed date on the packaging.
Swanson chicken broth comes in different sizes, so it’s important to note that the 14-day shelf life applies to all sizes. This means that whether you have a small or large carton, the broth will only stay fresh for 14 days once opened.
It’s also worth noting that these guidelines are for the best quality of the broth. After 14 days, the Swanson chicken broth may still be safe to consume, but the taste and quality may have deteriorated.
How to Properly Store Swanson Chicken Broth in the Fridge
To ensure that your Swanson chicken broth stays fresh for as long as possible, it’s important to store it properly in the fridge. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Store in its original packaging: It’s best to keep the Swanson chicken broth in its original packaging as it is designed to preserve the broth’s freshness. If you have already opened the carton, make sure to seal it tightly with its original cap or transfer it to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate immediately: After using the broth, make sure to return it to the fridge as soon as possible. Don’t leave it out on the counter for too long, especially if the room temperature is warm.
- Keep it at the back of the fridge: The back of the fridge is the coldest part and is the ideal spot for storing perishable items like Swanson chicken broth. This will help maintain a consistent temperature and prevent the broth from spoiling quickly.
- Keep away from other foods: When storing the broth in the fridge, make sure to keep it away from other foods to prevent cross-contamination. If possible, store it on a separate shelf or in a designated area.
Signs that Your Swanson Chicken Broth Has Gone Bad
It’s important to check for signs of spoilage before consuming any food, including Swanson chicken broth. Here are some indicators that your broth may have gone bad:
- Foul smell: If your chicken broth smells sour, off, or has a strange odor, it’s best to discard it. This is a sign that bacteria or mold may have developed.
- Discoloration: Fresh chicken broth has a light yellow color. If you notice any discoloration, such as a green or darker yellow hue, it’s best to get rid of it.
- Mold or growth: If you see any mold or growth on the surface of your Swanson chicken broth, it has definitely gone bad and should be thrown away immediately.
- Strange taste: While chicken broth has its own distinct flavor, if it tastes rancid, bitter, or just off, it’s best to discard it.
If you notice any of these signs, do not consume the broth as it may cause food poisoning or other health issues.
Tips to Extend the Shelf Life of Swanson Chicken Broth
While the 14-day shelf life is a general guideline for Swanson chicken broth, there are some tips and tricks you can use to extend its shelf life. Here are some suggestions:
- Freeze the broth: Freezing Swanson chicken broth is a great way to extend its shelf life. Simply pour the broth into an airtight container leaving some room at the top for expansion, and freeze it. The broth can stay fresh in the freezer for up to a year.
- Divide into smaller portions: If you don’t use a lot of chicken broth at once, consider dividing it into smaller portions before freezing. This way, you can thaw and use only the amount you need, without having to defrost the entire container.
- Label and date the container: When freezing chicken broth, make sure to label and date the container. This will help you keep track of how long it has been in the freezer and ensure you use it within a reasonable amount of time.
- Use an ice cube tray: Another way to extend the shelf life of chicken broth is to freeze it in an ice cube tray. This is a great option if you only need a small amount of broth for cooking. Simply pop out a cube or two when needed.
- Add salt or vinegar: Adding a pinch of salt or a splash of vinegar to your broth can also help extend its shelf life. Both ingredients act as natural preservatives and can slow down spoilage.
It’s important to note that while these tips can help extend the shelf life of Swanson chicken broth, it’s still best to use it within the recommended 14-day period for the best quality and taste.
Swanson chicken broth has a relatively long shelf life when stored properly in the fridge. It can last for up to 14 days after opening and up to a year when unopened. To ensure your broth stays fresh and flavorful for as long as possible, make sure to follow our tips and tricks for proper storage.
Now that you know the secrets to keeping your Swanson chicken broth fresh, go ahead and stock up on this versatile ingredient. With these tips in mind, you won’t have to worry about it going bad and can enjoy delicious soups, sauces, and more whenever you want!
In conclusion, knowing the shelf life of Swanson chicken broth in the fridge is important for maintaining its freshness and flavor. With our tips and tricks, you can extend the shelf life of your chicken broth and ensure that it is safe to consume. By following proper storage guidelines and using it within a certain time frame, you can make the most out of your Swanson chicken broth and enjoy delicious meals without any worry. Remember to always check the expiration date and discard any broth that shows signs of spoilage. By taking care of your broth, you can elevate the taste of your dishes and make the most out of this versatile ingredient.
John Rodgers, a seasoned wordsmith at LiveTheTopLife.com, weaves narratives that inspire and inform. With a passion for lifestyle, wellness, and personal development, his articles offer a unique blend of wisdom and practical insights, guiding readers to live their best lives.